'Room' Film Review

18:01

I (finally) went to see 'Room' on Saturday and, despite the fact that this is pretty late since a lot of people saw the film long ago, I decided to write about my feelings on it as I thought it was really well done. This review will contain spoilers for both the book and film so if you haven't read/watched I recommend you go and do just that and then come back.



Firstly I want to say that I really really enjoyed this film. That sounds kind of sickening when you know what the story is about but the relationship and chemistry between Jack and his Ma was so beautiful and heartwarming I couldn't get enough of it. Jack, played by 9 year old Jacob Tremblay, was absolutely incredible. When he was sad, I was sad. When he was happy, I was happy too. They couldn't have chosen a better actor to play Jack. Sorry Leo, but I really think Tremblay should have been nominated for that Oscar. Brie Larson played Joy (Ma) and I can confirm that she one hundred percent deserved her Oscar. I could feel both her frustration and love towards Jack as she desperately tried to help him understand their circumstances. None of us can possibly understand what it feels like to be in a situation like Jack and Joy's but Larson's performance somehow gave me a glimpse of what they might be going through.

I finished reading the book just days before watching the film yet I was on the edge of my seat during moments such as the escape scene. I knew exactly what was going to happen next but that didn't stop my heart beating any faster. I'll admit I didn't actually cry but I did well up on several occasions, particularly those between Jack and Joy. I was a little skeptical at first as to how they would manage to keep what was, in my opinion, the most important aspect of the story: Jack's perspective. Since the entire book is told from Jack's point of view the reader is given a  really unique and innocent understanding of the events that unfold in the novel. But the fact that Jack was part of almost, if not all, scenes in the film meant you could clearly tell that this was Jack's outlook we were getting.

However, I would say that there were a few aspects of the book that I think would have fitted well into the film adaptation, such as the explanation of why Joy has continued to breastfeed Jack, and also the fact that Joy had given birth to another baby before Jack as these may have helped someone who hadn't read the book get a deeper insight into what Jack and Joy's lives were really like whilst in Room. I would also say that the brief story line involving Joy's father not wishing to look at Jack because he reminded him of Old Nick could have been developed a little further. I didn't really feel that this was outrightly explained in the film so, again, I think you were at an advantage if you'd read the book first.

Having said that, the film was incredibly moving and they did an extremely good job of keeping me on my toes despite knowing what would happen next. The acting was absolutely mind blowing, and I also appreciated subtle references to their kidnapping such as the glimpse we get of Joy's mother reading 'The Book Thief' in which Max hides away in a basement to escape the Nazis.

4/5 stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe